- What is the meaning of tough?
- What does it mean when a girl calls you cookie?
- Where does the expression tough cookie come from?
- What is the definition of tough love?
- Is tough cookie a compliment?
- What cookies mean sexually?
- Why do they say smart cookie?
- What does it mean smart cookie?
- Is Smart Cookie a metaphor?
- How would you describe a difficult person?
- What do you call a tough person?
What is the meaning of tough?
: very difficult to do or deal with.
: physically and emotionally strong : able to do hard work, to deal with harsh conditions, etc.
: physically strong and violent..
What does it mean when a girl calls you cookie?
Informal. dear; sweetheart (a term of address, usually connoting affection). Slang. a person: a smart cookie; a tough cookie. an alluring young woman.
Where does the expression tough cookie come from?
The word itself is derived from the Dutch ‘koekje’, or ‘little cake’, and probably entered American English with Dutch settlers. Still no connection to being tough, unless those original Dutch settlers over-baked their koekjes. In the 1920s, ‘cookie’ became a slang term for a young woman.
What is the definition of tough love?
: love or affectionate concern expressed in a stern or unsentimental manner (as through discipline) especially to promote responsible behavior.
Is tough cookie a compliment?
The term tough cookie has been used in the way I described it but I’ve also heard it used to describe someone who doesn’t complain and is a survivor in the face of adversity, as in “The chemotherapy was really rough, but she is one tough cookie”. In that case, it’s a major compliment.
What cookies mean sexually?
A soft joint. Sexually question: Want to eat my cookie. See more words with the same meaning: vulva (‘vagina’), female genitalia.
Why do they say smart cookie?
It appears to have struck people as a charming idiom circa the 1920s, when “cookie” became a positive slang term for a woman. Over the next 20 years it became especially popular with the adjective “smart”, and seems to have really taken off in 1948, and by then had largely lost its feminine connotation.
What does it mean smart cookie?
Meaning of smart cookie in English a clever person who makes good decisions: He is a smart cookie, adjusting his songs to fit his audiences. You are one smart cookie.
Is Smart Cookie a metaphor?
A metaphor is a figure of speech that asserts that one element (person, animal, thing, quality, event, etc.) is similar to another element, not literally but figuratively. … The excerpt provided has a metaphor because it figuratively compares Clegg Simmons to “one smart cookie.”
How would you describe a difficult person?
1. adjective. A tough person is strong and determined, and can tolerate difficulty or suffering. She built up a reputation as being a tough, but fair businesswoman. Synonyms: strong, determined, aggressive, high-powered More Synonyms of tough.
What do you call a tough person?
A rough and violent person. tough. bully. ruffian.